Thursday, July 25, 2013

Everything Happens For A Reason


In November 2011 I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 28. While this was a very shocking and devastating time for me, I pulled a lot of my strength from my family, close friends, Delta Gamma sisters, and also Giuliana Rancic; whose battle was very similar to mine. It was a dream of mine to meet and talk to her to share our stories of survival & strength.

One of my best DG sisters, Ashley, informed me that Giuliana would be speaking at the Lectureship at OU. Knowing how important it was for me to meet Giuliana, Ashley graciously arranged our trip to attend the lectureship. The ladies of Alpha Iota did not disappoint and the reception & lectureship was beautiful. Giuliana arrived in a whirlwind of smiles, laughter and cameras. We were allowed a few brief minutes to chat and I will never forget those fleeting moments; my heart was so content. She genuinely cared about how I was doing and was very sympathetic to all that I'd been through. I felt like I could've sat and talked to her for hours over coffee!   

Even though our conversation was short yet sweet, I will never forget our time together and the quick bond we shared. Giuliana was so graceful and down to earth. Beautiful inside just as much as she is outside; her compassionate soul radiated the entire time we spoke. I am forever grateful for this experience-- to Ashley and to my other Delta Gamma sisters for making my dream become a reality!


Anne Embry, Gamma Tau-Texas Christian is an Air Force wife and stay-at-home-mom to a spunky preschooler. She dedicates her free time to raising awareness for early detection of breast cancer; it saved her own life. She can be reached at anneembry@gmail.com or her blog at www.annefightsback.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment